Monday, January 2, 2012

Projects

Today we met up with Father Farnworth for lunch and I told him about our New Year's resolution to each create something daily. His response was something to the effect of, "You realize you both have full time jobs and a toddler, right?" I explained that yesterday's project (the M&M drawing) took all of 30 seconds so I totally think it's doable to find that kind of time every day to make something. Although we have a whole room full of craft supplies, Josh wanted to head out to pick up some random craft items so we'll always have something ready at home to work with. We ended up with the most random stuff! Including a few things from the kid's craft aisle like perler beads and an eraser making kit. Our house is well stocked with pretty much any craft item you could want now. We busted out the perler beads while Benjamin was napping and I see Father Farnworth's point. While we had a good time working on our projects, there is NO WAY something like that could be accomplished if Ben was awake. He is very much in the "getting in your business" phase. Some of his favorite things to say are, "My turn!" and "I'll do it!" Hopefully Benjamin will be equally as interested in the crafts that are appropriate for his age, but I doubt it. He is so inquisitive. I wouldn't have it any other way!



After spending a chunk of the day in Powell's, on our long car ride home we started talking about our mutal love of books and reading and discussing the possible reasons why we both love to read so much. For him it was the combination of his dad letting him pick out a book as a treat as a kid and spending a lot of time in the car. For me it was taking trips to the library with my grandma and my mom reading to my brother and I at night. While we place a lot of importance on Benjamin developing his own personality- likes and dislikes, we would love to raise him to love to read. So far, so good! He loves to pick out books and be read to. We've caught him "reading" on his own quite a few times as well. I really enjoy the stories he comes up with when he "reads" a book to me. He already has an excellent imagination- I would love to help him develop that by raising him in a home where we practice being creative every day. Even though he is too young to appreciate it now, that's one of the reasons why I'm so excited about this project.




It's nice to be doing something that I'm really enjoying for myself and my own growth, but also together with my family. 'Cause let's face it- at the end of the day, those two boys are my everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment